Monday, April 28, 2008

Breaking the Fast

I know it's only been one week, but my detox program is through. I fasted for a little over half the time I meant to do so, and I started eating cheese again on Saturday, but I think, all things considered, that I did something I had never done before for an admirable length of time, so even though I only reached the halfway mark, I still feel good about myself for doing that much.

You wanna know the thing that broke me? Stromboli. I borrowed this crazy awesome bread book from a friend of mine, and then had to scramble to copy down all the recipes I wanted when she asked for it back--I was trying to avoid looking at it during my experiment, because I know how easily bread can break me! But this book plus Jon's encouragement finally led to the production of this scrumptious bread-- a rolled focaccia dough, swirled with oozing cheese and herbs, with a crispy olive oil and salt crust.....I'll do a full post on this stunning Italian bread a little later, but for now trust me (and this photo) that it was my undoing, and that it would have been yours, too.





But aside from the breaking of my fast, I would say the best thing about doing it was all the fruit. I bought so much fruit for juicing and munching that I had to find a second fruit bowl!








All that's left of that juicy arrangement now is a bowl full of oranges, topped with a random lemon and brown banana. I meant to juice more, but I didn't mean to do the dishes and dig out the pieces, so it didn't happen as much as I had hoped. But I got a chunk of ginger yesterday, which I forgot while at HEB, and did all the dishes, so now it's on for some orange carrot ginger juice!

And in non-food news, remember how a while back I said I would post a picture of my green-friendly recycled curtains? Well I finally got them up a little while ago, and here is a picture of my lovely (I think so, anyway) thrifty curtains. Much much better than $10 a panel, and more funky, too!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have baking with Julia which is fantasticcccccccc if you would care to borrow or burrow...whatever